Saturday, July 11, 2009

Thunderhorse Unplugged @ Hot Topic





















Well, we pulled it off everyone. The in store appearance at Hot Topic in Oakridge Mall when better then I had hoped. Typically we're a very loud, heavy metal band. We wanted to do something different that would push the limits of what we're capable of, to step out of our element so to speak. The last few weeks we had rehearsed for this, hitting technical roadblocks and self doubt if this could really happen. View the video footage here.

I got to the mall around 5:30 after being stuck in friday commute traffic. Getting there I was reminded why I hate the mall so much. The people who go there are the most robotic, plastic, and conformist people in our society. The mall is lame. I got to Hot Topic and we started to set up the gear. When we talked to the girl who was in charge of running the in-store, she asked why we had acoustic guitars. We said "We thought it was acoustic only, that's what they told us". She said "Oh no, any band can play here electric." Great. We all had a good laugh about that. We didn't know, but hey no regrets, it's going to be awesome anyways. After setting up we got our levels in check and we where on our way. Into our first song the store started to fill up with family, friends and random fans. I had some major tuning issues because I made the mistake of changing out new strings hours before playing. Yeah, pretty dumb. They need time to stretch. Into the middle of the set the crowd seemed to dig our performance, and warm up to us because we where finally getting comfortable. After the set we had a really good crowd response. Which made me feel better and everyone was impressed. Having my hair tied back, sitting down, and wearing something nice felt pretty good. Playing acoustic versions of our songs requires 100% constriction or it all can turn to shit pretty fast. In the photo's and video it's pretty apparent and scary how much weight I have lost, I think I'm going to keep that up.

After the show I went to California Pizza Kitchen had a ceaser salad and a Hawaiian pizza. It really hit the spot after a long day and nerve racking set. I got home later, contemplated the evening, had a few Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA's, which are very tasty. Overall I was really happy with our performance, we may not do it again, but it's cool to know if we had to, we can accomplish anything we put our minds to.

Thanks for reading. Until the next show..

1 comment:

  1. That video is amazing, Pete. You guys sound (and look) great! You guys are an awesome band, acoustic or otherwise. I can't wait for more updates and photos!

    ReplyDelete